Tuesday 24 July 2012

Kuching - Not really a cat city!





Kucing means cat, so with a city named Kuching I happily went about looking for the cat statues that I've been told are all over the city the city. Sadly I only found two, and came across one while on the bus bound for Bako,therefore I wasn't able to snap up pictures of the welcoming cat into the city. I was told for different holiday festivals,this big white cat statue would be dressed up which is pretty rad in my opinion. They ought to dress it up in tribal outfit for the Rainforest Festival since it is quite the tourism draw for that month.



Ask anyone why Kuching is named so, locals shrug ,probably because the real reason has been obscured by time. It's based on the Sanskrit word "cochim" which meant port! and Kuching being the main entry,saw the immigration of Chinese workers seeking new fortunes in Borneo.


Walk around in Carpenter street and the waterfront, you'll be able to see the pride the Chinese have for their heritage and the care to preserve their history as evident by the Chinese Museum at the Waterfront. with no less than three temples on Carpenter street, stroll along and you could almost sense the by gone days. 










 You will also see why this street is called Carpenter Street, with old fashion hand made furniture store. Coffin makers were probably here once upon a time, what with three temples on the street but the times have changed and Carpenter street is now famous for the best noodles in town. Prices are slightly steeper here than the rest of the city but definately worth coming too.



The first afternoon with a friend, saw us walking away in defeat as the Laksa stall had run out for the day and heading to a foodcourt we found the local fishball noodles to try and some pork satay to go with it.Absolutely delicious!
Just a note, noodle portions here are smaller which I really like, I don't have to walk away like a saddled penguin unlike back home, I'm often aghast at the amount of food I have to waste before the end of each meal.







Also more colonial buildings buildings abound on this side of Borneo, with a few being requisition for state purposes, a Tourist Information Centre, Sarawak Handicraft Museum and opposite it, a post office, kudos to Kuching for preserving them.










One other thing, Kuching always brings to mind cats but I've only ever seen one real cat on Carpenter street. However the Cat city must of course live up to it's name and therefore you have the novelty Cat Museum, which sadly I did not make it to. I know I'll come back again someday, especially to trek to the Village in the Clouds, that is something to look forward to at least!

No comments: